Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Becoming a Credientialed Counselor

After some time away from posting, I'm back!

I have been going through the licensure process myself and found inspiration from this post due to not having any resources to find what I needed. I wished there was someone or somewhere I could go for answers. Google turned out to be my main resource. I just mailed my application for licensure as a LPC in my state. I am now looking into other licenses or certifications so that I can provide more services.

The nbcc website, http://nbcc.org/ , is a great site. It has information about becoming an NCC, MAC, NCSC, and NCMHC. Each of these covers a specific knowledge area, such as mental health, addicitons and school counseling. The NCC credential is necessary for all the other credentials, and is considered the base requirement.

To obtain the NCC, and thus, all the other certifications, you must take the NCE (national counselor exam). Coincidentally, this test is also required by many states for licensure as a LPC. Other states may require the NMHCE (National Mental Health Counselor Exam), but we will get into that later. This means you can use hit test for double duty in a way, as it is a path to state licensure, as well as to NCC (national certified counselor) status. I already have a National Counselor Status, and now also my LPC. Now I can move up the ladder of certifications with NBCC. IF you check out their site it will lead you to dscriptions of each specialty. If you use their link to NCMHC information, it will tell you that it is $295 to take this test and for the application. I was disappointed by this, as that is a great sum of money to anyone (if you're the 99%).

I began to search the internet for alternatives. I thought to myself, surely there is another way or a cheaper way. Then I discovered several things, which I will address one at a time.

* You can simply take this exam (as if you were taking it for your state's licensure requirements), without necessarily applying for credential. Why would you want to do that? I wondered that too, for a second. Then I found this site http://www.nbcc.org/Assets/RegistrationForm/NCMHCERegistrationForm.pdf. It is a registration for through NBCC for the NCMHCE. This would therefore already be on file with NBCC in the event that you wanted to use your passing score to get certification later. It is only $100 if you are already a NCC. OR, if it helps, this is where I got the link for the form above http://www.nbcc.org/NCMHCE

* This loophole does require that you already be fully licensed in your state. I intend to use this to have reciprocity for licensure in other states, as well as to find employment at VA sites or on military bases. Confused? I was too. This is the low down. If you want to be employed by military/ VA, you must have passed this exam. They typically have only accepted LCSW for Government jobs in social services. They are now accepting LPC's if you pass the NCMHCE. This way you can find a job with your score rather than your credential. This way, if you meet all requirements for certification, you just have to save up the money for the $295. It is a good way to get your foot in the door. Especially if you are worrie about not passing the first time. Check out Army counseling positions and information here http://acsap.army.mil/sso/pages/index.jsp or here http://www.va.gov/jobs/

* If you are planning on moving to a state that requires NMHCE for licensure, you can use this passing score there, and then earn the state certification for this. Different states have different regulations regarding this. This website is a great resource for knowledge about every state board, as well as last known exam they accepted. http://cfl.columbusstate.edu/stateboards.php

Happy Hunting! If there is any new info you know of, please post and let me know and I will add it! Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I found another great link for state board info. http://www.nbcc.org/directory

    I think it is easier than scrolling through that list posted above!

    ReplyDelete